Friday, December 04, 2009

Slaughterhouse 49 - First Marathon Edition

Bunch,

In February 2009 I read an article with a great idea in it, from former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee.

Before you either pump your first in triumph or shuffle out in disgust, listen first. This has nothing to do with politics.

"Huckabee has run four marathons. How'd he do it? 'I made a list of twenty-six people who had made a special difference in my life in some way,' Huckabee says. 'I dedicated a mile to each one and I told them in advance — mile thirteen is yours, mile twenty-one, and so on. Then I put their names on a little card, and I laminated it so it wouldn't get destroyed in the sweat. You just can't quit, 'cause you would be choking on somebody's mile and you'd have to go back and tell them.'"

The following list of individuals will be in my pocket on Sunday morning. This is what I can do by way of notification. For those of you unfamiliar with Las Vegas geography, I've attached a brief description of each mile (you can see the exact location here) Everyone here - I can't thank you enough. I won't quit. I promise.

______________________________________

1. Margaret Lyden. (Start line to Sunset Road.)
2. Jay Lyden. (Sunset Road to Mandalay Bay.)

Mom and Dad get the first two miles because I wouldn’t have been able to do any of the rest without them. I had a generally happy childhood and get my sense of humor, my smile and any good qualities from the two of them. (The bad ones I picked up when they weren’t looking.)

3. Ken Faikus. (Four Seasons Hotel to Hawaiian Marketplace.)

The Minister of Perspective, the Genius, he’s listened to my every complaint, whether it’s about fitness, people, relationships, jobs, writing, the whole shebang – and there are a LOT. He’s kept me focused on not only my training, but on things that are far more important.

4. Brian Mascheri. (Hawaiian Marketplace to Venetian.)

My best friend, my corner man, the guy who knows where the bodies are buried and why, we’ve spent our whole adult lives knowing the other one’s got our back. You are lucky if you meet someone like this at any time in your life, and I’ve been really lucky to know him for nearly my entire life.

5. Beth Badrov. (Venetian to Wynn.)

Beth saw what I was doing, started running herself, started liking it. She inadvertently announced she was expecting to all of her friends on Facebook by bragging that she beat the other pregnant lady in a 5K race. Will undoubtedly run a marathon herself one day.

6. Jenn and Ed Brusven. (Wynn to Stratosphere.)

Found a dream, believed in it, worked to make it happen and are both fighting to make it succeed. Sounds just like what I’m trying to do, but in a different context.

7. Zoe Albright. (Stratosphere to downtown.)

The trainer who got me to train differently, to listen to the right kind of experts so I could run this race in the first place. One of the people on earth I can point to and say, “See? She’s crazier than I am.”

8. Siobhan Greene. (Downtown through Fremont Street Experience.)

My long-lost relative from a past life, she started walking, and walking, and walking even farther. She’s unafraid to try things that she might be terrible at.

9. Nannette Johnstone. (Downtown to Sahara.)

Nannette gets Mile 9 because it’s her lucky number. (Mine too.) She wasn’t afraid to take on the challenge of starting me out down the path that I’m on right this second. My co-conspirator and source of inspiration. Is gutsy enough to run triathlons herself.

10. Michelle Kmetz. (Sahara to Café Ba-Ba-Reeba.)

She’s the other side of my mind, the balance, the sanity, the Director of Assertiveness, the one who knows that I’m crazy but knows better than to try and stop me. Believes I’m capable of amazing things that I’m not even sure of. Tranquility is at hand, really, right after this race. Honest. I promise.

11. St. Baldrick’s Foundation/LIVESTRONG Foundation (Fashion Show to Industrial.)

The reason I’m bald during my racing season and have a yellow bracelet on almost all the time, the groups devoted to stopping juvenile cancer through research, awareness, and treatment.

12. Sam Gold. (Industrial to Twain past the back of the Rio.)

For being a Space Monkey and for marching kids all over the place…a great example for his Scouts. Also has a sister who’s a triathlete and spends time shaking his head, but spends more time asking questions and growing ever more curious about it. His time will come.

13. Julie Lyden. (Twain from Valley View to Decatur.)

Julie got Mile 13 because she did a half-marathon this year herself, and plans to run the full distance next year. To know where both of us came from in terms of what kind of shape we were in and to know where we’re at right now – I still can’t believe it. I also know that if I ever slow down, Julie will catch me.

14. JoLynn McCully. (Decatur to from Twain to Harmon.)

Had the courage to restart school at 37 to get her degree to pursue the goals and careers that she wanted. Refused to believe it was impossible and that she couldn’t make a better life for herself.

15. Mark Tsujihara, Adam Crook, Peter Rufa, Pete Franzen, Jon Fredrickson and Kathy Fredrickson. (Decatur from Harmon to Hacienda.)

For listening, for encouragement, for calling me crazy. I miss you all in bunches, miss the chance to bust each other’s chops over key lime pie.

16. John Quitano and Ashok Yadav. (Hacienda from Decatur to Jones.)

Along with me, the two longest-suffering members of the ITB Brass Challenge Running Team. We’ve gone from the few, the slow, and the desperate to making some substations nervous. These gentlemen are always willing to stand up and be counted, and I appreciate it.

17. Julie Benedict, Johanna Aqui, and Sudha Sunkara. (Hacienda to Rainbow/Tropicana.)

Went from never running anywhere to running half-marathons themselves; two of them are competing today. I’m amazed by their determination.

18. Elynore Lyden, Chris Wrobel, and Janet Javurec. (Rainbow/Tropicana to corner of Spanish Trail GC.)

Up there, watching. The time that I spent knowing you was far too short.

19. Chris Alioto, Kim Low, Elizabeth Gorski, Mandi Hellyer, Maria Cappiello Kiely, Allen Lev and Armando Madrigal. (On Hacienda, along Spanish Trail GC.)

Facebook running and triathlon brethren in different stages of life and fitness. They’re part of why I get out of bed during what I call “morning” but which everyone else would call “the middle of the night”.

20. Cami Coy. (Hacienda final turnaround before Durango.)

Has worked tirelessly for her results and never gives up. I could never disappoint her.

21. 2nd Lt. Anthony Smith and the Challenged Athletes Foundation/Operation Rebound. (Hacienda east towards Rainbow.)

For their service, their sacrifice, and their inspiration. It was an honor and terrific inspiration to meet these guys and race with them.

22. Cole Kostrzewa. (Hacienda past Spring Valley Hospital.)

“If you are going to run for my son, run a long way, because he has. When the pain in your legs affects you, accept it, as he has. When you reach the point of exhaustion, embrace it, as he has. When you fear that you can go forward no longer, imagine for that moment that you have no choice, and smile, like Cole does, and keep running, until you can feel better, like Cole will." –Karen Barr Kostrzewa, Cole’s mom, my high school classmate, talking about her son, the six-year-old leukemia survivor.

23. Michael Lamoureux. (Hacienda through Jones.)

Always supportive, always encouraging, going through hellish pain himself and never complains about it. A terrific guy to know and a great friend and father.

24. Johnny Lopez. (Hacienda with big lousy hill over railroad tracks.)

The guy who can relate to every step of it, only always and ever faster. Right about now he’s probably finishing the race, because he’s faster than I am.

25. Lisa Zelazny. (Hacienda over awful bridge to Luxor pyramid.)

She’ll always deny that she’s as crazy as I am, but with her and Johnny training and working alongside of me, I don’t have to travel far for any kind of inspiration to keep going. Neither Johnny nor Lisa ever give up, for any reason. It’s incredible.

26. Jarren and Jayson Lyden. (Around Luxor Parking garage to Mandalay Bay parking lot.)

The reason I jump over the finish lines, the reason I started racing to begin with, the best part of my life and an awesome honor and responsibility. The last full mile is all theirs. Right now it’s time for Dad to close this race out…and you know how he’s going to finish.

.2. Me. (Mandalay Bay parking lot to finish line.)

This is less than a lap around a high school track, and I’m going to be greedy and keep this one. Some moments you get to keep for the rest of your life. These next 2-3 minutes are all mine, to remember forever. I can’t wait.

No comments: