Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Highly personal news day

So the big story when I turn on the television today is a fuel spill at the Clark County Detention Center, and I get to see several familiar faces walking around and frowning. Streets closed for blocks. They mention it was caused by a "power glitch." Even though I'm now based out of City Hall, my first reaction is, "This does not bode well for a good day."

And then I'm listening to NP-Ahhh, which sounds as such because the normal announcer is on vacation so instead we get an uppity Brit who can't pronounce her R's correctly (she also happens to be the station manager who ran off most of the original voice talent, it's from their news accounts that I get the uppity part) and the top story on the national news is that Las Vegas officials knew about the terrorist videotapes for two years and didn't say anything. They deny they didn't say anything because it would hurt the tourist industry.

National news. Oh dear.

Look. I haven't seen the videotape in question. I know that there were things said on there that were supposedly troublesome. I know that if something bad were going to happen, they would tell us (and by "us" I don't mean "every blinking inch of America," I unfortunately mean "me, in my professional capacity, and my immediate family") and they have told us to watch for stuff, but not anything specific.

If we start hammering every yokel with a video camera on the Strip, they won't come back. If they don't come back, that's a problem. If we scare the bejeebers out of people for no reason, like when we tell them, "Did you know the 9/11 muscle hijackers stopped here after every reconnaissance trip?" they start wondering why. So do we; we don't know. There were snipers on the rooftops on New Year's Eve. There were weird things that National Guard types told me about. Did anything happen? No. America had a swell time.

I can't offer any more specifics. I have a nice little history of getting hired for jobs that require some degree of confidentiality, and I intend to keep it.


No comments: